Is my employer allowed to deduct tips from my paycheck?
No, it is unlawful for California employers to deduct or withhold tips from an employee’s paycheck. The law gives workers the right to keep all the tips they earn.
Businesses are barred from forcing workers to share any portion of tips with them or from offsetting tips against regular wages. Employers must maintain thorough records of all tips received. State labor regulators take tip law violations very seriously.
Workers may be eligible to take legal action if their employer illegally deducted tips from their paycheck. Some legal options include bringing a complaint with the California Labor Commissioner’s Office or filing a lawsuit against the employer.
If you suspect your employer has violated tip laws, contact McCormack Law Firm. A knowledgeable San Francisco employment lawyer can help you understand how various tip laws apply to your situation and hold your employer accountable.
Other Unpaid Wage, Overtime & Commission FAQs:
- Am I entitled to meal breaks and rest breaks if I am working remotely?
- Are computer programmers and tech workers exempt from overtime?
- Can an employer disclose my immigration status if I file a claim for unpaid wages?
- Can I get fired for claiming overtime pay?
- Can my employer change my commission plan or withhold commissions?
- Can my employer fire me for filing a wage claim?
- Can salaried workers earn overtime in California?
- Do I still get overtime if I am a commissioned salesperson?
- Does my employer have to pay me for off-the-clock work?
- Does my employer have to reimburse me for work expenses?
- How can a lawyer help with my claim for unpaid wages?
- How can I protect myself from wage theft?
- How can I tell if I am an independent contractor?
- How do I file a claim for unpaid wages?
- How do I know if I am entitled to overtime pay?
- How do I know if my employer needs to pay me overtime?
- How is overtime pay calculated in California?
- How much time do I have to file a wage claim in California?
- How much time do I have to file an overtime claim?
- If I receive a salary, am I exempt from overtime?
- If my employment is terminated, is my employer still required to pay me my commissions?
- Is my employer allowed to deduct anything from my paycheck?
- Is my employer allowed to deduct tips from my paycheck?
- Is my employer allowed to withhold my final wages after firing me?
- Is my employer required to pay for my meal break and rest breaks?
- My employer is forcing me to work through meal breaks. What should I do?
- What are some examples of wage theft?
- What are the main differences between an independent contractor and an employee?
- What is an exempt and non-exempt employee?
- What is the minimum wage in California?
- What should I do if I suspect my employer is withholding wages?
- What should I do if my boss asks me to work off the clock?
- What types of damages can I get in a wage claim against my employer?