How can a lawyer help with my claim for unpaid wages?



How can a lawyer help with my claim for unpaid wages?

If you have been denied the wages you are owed, an experienced employment lawyer can hold your employer accountable. Before moving forward with a wage theft claim, an attorney can help you determine the best option for recovering compensation in your situation.

A successful wage theft lawsuit requires an extensive understanding of labor laws. With a skilled employment lawyer representing your interests, you maximize your chances of receiving compensation. The attorney can file your claim in a timely manner and guide you through every step of the legal process, answering any questions you may have.

Importantly, you may be able to recover much more than your unpaid wages. Your employer may owe you interest on your unpaid wages. If the employer’s failure to pay you wasn’t by some legitimate accident or excusable mistake, you may obtain liquidated damages doubling the amount you are owed. And there are extra penalties for inaccurate wage statements; 30 days of extra pay if you weren’t paid all due wages at termination; and other laws that may increase the amount you can recover. A skilled employment attorney can identify all the different laws that apply to your situation to obtain the maximum possible damages.

A lawyer will be able to identify other sources of wage theft or unlawful pay practices that may initially have been overlooked. For example, you may also have a retaliation claim against your employer if you were fired for complaining about unpaid wages. Or you may have a claim for missed meal and rest breaks. If your case involves coworkers who have suffered systemic wage theft, an attorney may advise you on whether a class-action lawsuit may be beneficial.

With an employment attorney handling your wage dispute, you do not have to worry about standing up to your employer. The lawyer will gather evidence and craft an effective legal strategy for your case.

Employees who believe their employer has withheld wages or committed other forms of wage theft should contact a skilled employment lawyer for legal advice. McCormack Law Firm has experience helping workers recover the wages they have earned. Contact us today to discuss your next steps.

Other Unpaid Wage, Overtime and Commission FAQs:

Schedule your free consultation today: 415.925.5161

Client testimonials

This law firm was the only one to answer the phone out of the 15-20 law firms that I called that day. I had a wrongful termination case and Bryan really took the time to listen and understand what happened in my situation, and he knows the law to a T. – Shanic M.

I was owed wages and overtime and my employer refused to pay me. So I hired them to file a lawsuit. Bryan easily understood my very complicated case and I am happy with the results. – Ebi Z.

I didn’t have to pay anything, the firm took the whole risk of managing the case. Through the 14 months, Bryan always kept me updated, was very responsive and patient to questions I had. We achieved a resolution out of court in my favor, making me even happier about the experience. – Peter S.

I can honestly say that my experience with Bryan was all the way positive from day one… We had very high expectations about our case and in the end we got what we hoped for. – Roger J.

I won my trial and I got more than I expected. Everyone in the office is so nice and helpful. Even after everything was finished I could call a few weeks after and ask questions to make sure I was protected and they are more than helpful. – Husain N.

I never had to pay Bryan anything up front, nor was ever pressured to settle early. We ended up settling morning of the trial. Bryan is a really sharp, aggressive, seasoned attorney and knew the law inside and out about whistleblower cases. – Kyle B.