Is my employer allowed to fire me for complaining about discrimination or harassment at work?
No, it is unlawful for employers to fire workers for complaining about workplace discrimination or harassment. Reporting discrimination or harassment at work is a protected activity under the law. An employer may not fire or otherwise punish an employee for exercising their rights.
While retaliation for making a report of discrimination or harassment is illegal, you should take steps to protect yourself if an unethical employer retaliates against you. Be sure you report discrimination or harassment in writing and keep a copy. Email or text message is a good way to do this. If there are witnesses, see if they will come forward to support you. Be sure to have the names and contact information of any witnesses written down. Take good notes about the situation, including the dates of any discrimination or harassment, what happened, who said what and who witnessed it. Keep copies of any relevant complaints or evidence in your possession, as opposed to just leaving copies at work.
Employers are responsible for addressing discrimination or harassment once it is brought to their attention. If they fail to investigate the matter, or the offensive behavior does not stop, you may have a claim against them.
If you were fired in retaliation for reporting discrimination or harassment, you may be able to file a wrongful termination lawsuit to hold your employer accountable. The experienced employment lawyers at McCormack Law Firm can help you determine whether you have grounds for legal action.
Other Wrongful Termination FAQs:
- Can I sue for wrongful termination if I was forced to quit my job?
- Can my boss fire me for complaining about workplace safety?
- How can a lawyer help me with my wrongful termination claim?
- I was fired without warning. Was I wrongfully terminated?
- If I quit my job because of intolerable conditions, do I have a case?
- Is California An “At-Will” Employment State?”
- Is my employer allowed to fire me for complaining about discrimination or harassment at work?
- Is my employer allowed to fire me for no reason?
- What should I do if I have been unfairly fired?
- What types of damages can I get in a wrongful termination lawsuit?